Monday, April 26, 2010

2001 Turley Pesenti Zin

When moving AGAIN, I had to transport my library stash of wines.  I found a '01 Zin and thought "oh no", this will be too jammy for me.  I have found that Zins, especially from Paso Robles, don't age well.  They become much too fruity for my tastes.  In fact, I am just about over the "over the top" alc and fruit forward wines.  Unfortunately this wine was too "thick" and fruity for me, even though I had it with ribs smothered in BBQ sauce.  The rest of the wine though I used for a delicious reduction sauce which is perfect for a nice juicy NY steak.  My advice is to drink your California Zins within 3-5 years.  The Turley Winery is an excellent winery and Pesenti was one of the original wineries of Paso Robles.  The Pesenti vineyard is old vine zin.  In the front of the Paso winery, there are some of the original vines, I believe are over 100 years old.  Wines from Turley are $$$.

No comments:

Post a Comment